Thursday, April 11, 2013

Reply All

Sally's boss started texting all the employees of her restaurant this morning to try to get a shift covered. It began really early and I'd only been asleep for about four hours. Sally got a new phone yesterday evening and hadn't yet changed any of the notice settings, so it played this odd piano riff whenever she got a text. The way it's set up, whenever someone replies, everyone in the loop gets the text, so I kept hearing this melody. At first it was in my dreams as my mind tried to make sense of it. I was in that state between asleep and awake, and I was thinking stuff like "Is it the popsicle man? Did some kid get a new piano and only knows one lick?" Finally I woke up and realized it was her new phone. Not wishing to wake her up, I listened to it about 25 times. Finally she woke up and I said "Make it stop." She laughed and changed settings. She started imitating all the employees texting in their excuses: "I have a doctor's appointment." "I'm sick." "I have to take my mom to the airport" and on and on. She decided she'd send in a text saying "Sorry, but I have to masturbate and take my cat to the groomer's." That's hilarious and I begged her to do it, but the way her phone is set up at the moment everybody in her contacts, from her doctor to her mom, would get it. I still think it would have been funny regardless. I didn't get enough sleep, but at least I got a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment