Friday, January 25, 2013

Greatest Rhymes in Music

"Pablo Picasso" by David Bowie. I love to see how people use rhyme in songs. Sometimes it's easy - "I love you baby and I don't mean maybe" or whatever, but sometimes it's tricky, and I love to see how musicians get around the problem. Occasionally they'll just give up and say the same word twice; basically rhyming a word with itself. I love that. But sometimes great and unexpected rhymes come up, and this is one of my favorites of all time. It's from the song "Pablo Picasso" from the "Reality" CD. Bowie manages to rhyme "asshole" with "Picasso," and that's inspired. Plus "asshole" is a great word anyway. The song says:

                   Well some people try to pick up girls
  They get called assholes
                      This never happened to Pablo Picasso

Amazing. Just amazing. Fantastic song too. Studio version (no link function):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8xWOK9K0_I

No comments:

Post a Comment