Sunday, January 6, 2013

Drumhead of the Day

This drumhead is about 17 years old. There's a farmer's market close by and I used to get produce there three days a week or more. They had a huge watermelon bin made out of corrugated cardboard with this print stamped around it, and every time I'd pull up I'd park in front of it and make a hole with my thumb and finger and look at it and think how cool it would look on the front of a bass drum. Out there maybe, but cool. I finally told the guy one day and he goes "You can have it." We carefully peeled it off (you can see stripes where it was glued to the cardboard) and there was just enough paper to trim and fit inside of a clear drumhead. I'm pretty sure it's unique. I gigged with it for five years probably, and people always got off on it. The drum was old to begin with (probably 80s) and it's semi-officially retired, but that thin paper cuts down on just enough excess ring to make this bass drum sound like a million bucks without any other muffling, and if there were any studio work around here I'd replace the tension claw and get it rockin' again. It still looks cool though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment